International News

Leeds United 2-1 Tottenham


Friedel: Can't keep out Whites

Friedel: Can't keep out Whites

Tottenham were dumped out of the FA Cup at the fourth round after going down 2-1 to Leeds United at Elland Road on Sunday afternoon.


Predict result and win big with Soccer6


The Whites went in front after just 15 minutes as Luke Varney curled home a sumptuous effort, while Ross McCormack doubled the lead after 50 minutes.

Clint Dempsey managed to ensure a tense final 32 minutes after halving the deficit, although the Premier League side were unable to find the vital equaliser as the hosts held out.

Spurs made a strong start to the game as they didn't allow Leeds to settle and knocked the ball about with confidence.

However, it was the championship side that took the lead when Varney netted on 15 minutes. A ball was put into the left channel and an El-Hadji Diouf dummy deceived two Spurs defenders as it rolled through to the striker, who closed in on the Spurs goal without being challenged before neatly dispatching the ball into the corner past Brad Friedel.

Tom Huddlestone tested Jamie Ashdown in the Leeds goal before Dempsey hit a 25-yarder that swerved viciously and forced the home keeper to be at his best to gather it.

The game ebbed and flowed and it was Leeds who got the second goal just after the break. On 50 minutes, Diouf sent McCormack in behind the Spurs defence and the Scot checked back inside and curled his shot home from just inside the area to send Elland Road into delirium.

Dempsey missed a great chance when he hit one wide from six yards after good work from Aaron Lennon, but the American made amends on 58 minutes when he got one back.

Gareth Bale beat two white shirts on the left wing and put a cross into the area that Dempsey wanted more than two defenders around him to head home.

Friedel had to be good to stop McCormack making it 3-1 from a rare counter-attack as Spurs started putting more and more pressure on the home side.

The visitors called for a penalty on 73 minutes when a Dempsey shot Tom Lees' hand, but the referee gave nothing.

Leeds did everything they could to halt Spurs' momentum as nerves jangled among the Elland Road faithful but they managed to hold on and secure a memorable victory for Neil Warnock's side to book their progression to the next round.

Posted: 27/01/13 16:03

Copyright TEAMtalk Media Group 2014     Pictures from Getty Images, Backpagepix and Gallo