African News

Pretoria University 1-1 Swallows


Nomvethe: Opening goal

Nomvethe: Opening goal

Pretoria University fought back from a goal down to secure what, for most of the match, looked to be an unlikely draw against Moroka Swallows at the Tuks Stadium on Wednesday night.


Predict result and win big with Soccer6


Tuks, as Pretoria University is more affectionately known, were saved by a last minute equaliser from Thabo Mosadi, which would have relieved coach Steve Barker, who had made five changes to his squad for this highly anticipated fixture.

It was none other than the incomparable Siyabonga Nomvethe who secured the early lead for the Dube Birds in the first stanza.

Prior to this encounter there had been considerable pressure for both teams to secure positive results.

It is Swallows who initially handled that pressure the best in this match, having created meaningful chances from as early on as the second minute.

Katlego Mashego latched onto a long ball from Isaacs, but the striker's effort cannoned off the post.

After applying significant pressure, Swallows opened their account in the eighth minute through the efforts of Nomvethe.

The veteran striker managed to beat the off-side trap and subsequently curled the ball past the keeper.

Tuks had opportunities to restore parity, but their series of decent attempts were foiled by the Swallows defensive unit.

The closest attempt came from Aubrey Ngoma in the 10th minute, however, goalkeeper Greg Etafia was up to the task.

Swallows attacking player Bennett Chenene had a great chance to double his team's lead in the 25th minute but the unmarked midfielder could only manage to drag his shot past the post from the edge of the 18-yard area.

Swallows, started off the second-half the way they had ended the first stanza, when Nomvethe asked some pertinent questions of the Tuks defence.

Giorgi Nergadze also found himself involved in the action when he took a splendid strike from about 30 metres out. The shot was parried past the goals by Washington Arubi.

Etafia kept his team in the lead when he denied Buhle Mhwanazi in the 79th minute. The keeper stopped the defender's shot from point-blank range.

However, his efforts would subsequently prove fruitless as Mosadi headed in from close range to ensure the hosts shared the points, at the very least.

Posted: 20/02/13 21:28

Copyright TEAMtalk Media Group 2014     Pictures from Getty Images, Backpagepix and Gallo