African News

Sundowns 0-1 Bloem Celtic


Mogorosi: Celtic hero

Mogorosi: Celtic hero

A controversial goal saw Bloemfontein Celtic end their seven-year trophy drought as they edged Mamelodi Sundowns 1-0 in the 2012 Telkom Knockout final at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday evening.


Predict result and win big with Soccer6


Joel Mogorosi made the vital breakthrough shortly after the restart to hand Clinton Larsen the Ziwa Mo crown, although the midfielder's header did not appear to cross the line, despite the referee awarding the goal.

Celtic started the brighter of the two sides and dominated possession in the opening five minutes, although it was the Brazilians who created the first real chance, a deep delivery cushioned down for Richard Henyekane, but he completely missed his attempted volley and the defence were able to clear.

Themba Zwane managed the first shot on goal after nine minutes, although it was straight at Patrick Tignyemb, while moments later Teko Modise drew a fine save from the keeper who just managed to tip the Downs skipper's effort away from the top corner.

Sundowns began dominating the game as the half went on, with Modise and Zwane proving real live-wires, although some staunch Celtic defending limited the Chloorkop outfit's shooting chances.

Phunya Sele Sele almost snuck the lead after 30 minutes as the Sundowns defence failed to deal with a long ball into the area, but Ruzaigh Gamildien's low drive fizzed just wide of the up-right.

The teams headed into the break still level-pegging at 0-0, but just two minutes after the restart Celtic took the lead.

A deep corner left Downs gloveman Wayne Sandilands in no-man's land before the ball was flicked on to Mogorosi, and although his header appeared to be legitimately cleared off the line, the referee saw things differently and awarded the goal.

Three minutes later and Siwelele almost doubled their advantage as a swift counter ended with Gamildien unleashing from the edge of the area, although his low shot flew just wide of the mark with the goalkeeper flailing at the attempt.

Downs soon regained their composure and began plugging away at an equaliser, and Modise came close after controlling on his chest and thrashing his half-volley at goal, but his effort flew just wide of the mark, much to the frustration of the Brazilians' bench.

Anthony Laffor made a big impact on the game after being introduced midway through the second-half, and he almost scored a wonder goal after skipping past three defenders and opening his body to shoot, but he was falling as he made contact and the shot ended up going straight at the grateful goalkeeper.

Alje Schut almost found a way through in the final minute after rising well to meet a free-kick, but he wasn't able to direct his header and the ball flew well over.

Click here to relive our live coverage

Posted: 01/12/12 20:11

Copyright TEAMtalk Media Group 2014     Pictures from Getty Images, Backpagepix and Gallo