PSL News

Kaizer Chiefs 1-1 AmaTuks


Niang: Found the equaliser

Niang: Found the equaliser

Kaizer Chiefs regained sole ownership at the top of the PSL standings, although they lead by just a single point after being held to a 1-1 draw against University of Pretoria on Saturday evening.


Predict result and win big with Soccer6


George Lebese opened the scoring for the Glamour Boys following a barren first-half, although Mame Niang came off the bench to square things up for Steve Barker's men moments later.

The result leaves Chiefs just one point clear of rivals Orlando Pirates, while AmaTuks finished the day in sixth.

Both sides started the match brightly, with Chiefs just shading the possession, although Tuks looked dangerous on the counter-attack as the game flowed from one end to the other.

However, it would take 14 minutes for either side to register a first real shot on goal, with Siphiwe Tshabalala's delivery into the area only cleared to Lehlohonolo Majoro, but his snap shot was well saved by Washington Arubi.

Tuks had a golden opportunity to open the scoring shortly before the break as a quick free-kick allowed Thabo Mosadi to get a rasping shot away from inside the area, which Khune could only parry into the path of Tebogo Monyai.

And although he had the entire goal to aim for, Monyai got his effort all wrong and blazed over from just a few feet out.

The teams went into the break level pegging, although Chiefs won themselves a good chance to test Arubi as Tshabalala was brought down on the edge of the area, but Parker's free-kick was straight at the wall and a decent chance went begging.

Just moments later the hosts were ahead, and it was a move worthy of a goal. Parker started it out wide before cutting his pass inside to Tshabalala, with the Bafana Bafana ace turning the ball on to Lebese.

He then played a gorgeous one-two with Reneilwe Letsholonyane before firing his shot past Arubi.

Chiefs had hardly any time to celebrate that goal, though, as ten minutes later they conceded a goal that would have had coach Stuart Baxter seething.

Niang was allowed to control a cross inside the area before bringing the ball back onto his favoured foot and smashing his effort home from six-yards out.

The hosts were dealt a big blow towards the end of the second period as Parker had to be stretchered off with injury, although they soon had a great chance to retake the lead as Majoro wormed his way into a shooting area, but the keeper pulled of a brilliant one-handed save to deny the hitman.

However, neither side could find a way through as the match turned out to be a draw.

Posted: 15/12/12 17:58

Copyright TEAMtalk Media Group 2014     Pictures from Getty Images, Backpagepix and Gallo