Monday night's clash between Manchester City and Liverpool gave us a glimpse of what we can expect from last season's first and second-placed Premier League teams.
With City and Liverpool doing battle on Monday, our weekly review arrives a day later, but still packs plenty of punch as we assess the weekend's action.
In our new weekly feature we take a look back on the weekend that was and pick out a few key talking points...
Having run the rule over all 20 teams in the Premier League, the powers that be at Football411 have given their final verdict on how the teams will finish.
Mark Hughes is working hard to change perceptions of Stoke and the club's transformation will continue this season.
Tottenham will line up for the new Premier League season with nothing but another run at a top-four finish in mind, having come so close last year.
It will hopefully be a charmed third season back in the Premier League from West Ham's point of view as they gear up for another run in the big time.
Alan Irvine's limited managerial experience will be tested as West Brom look to avoid another relegation battle.
Having narrowly avoided relegation last season, Sunderland will be hoping for a less harrowing campaign this time around.
Garry Monk will be looking to build on a solid first stint at the helm of Swansea as the Welsh outfit look to further establish themselves in the Premier League.
Following another busy period in the transfer window, Newcastle will be looking ahead to the new season with confidence.
Manchester City kick off the new Premier League season as defending champions, although they are expected to face a much tougher challenge this term.
QPR make their return to the Premier League this season, where manager Harry Redknapp will be hoping to make the most of his top-flight experience.
Southampton face a season of uncertainty following an exodus of their biggest stars, but will still be looking to impress under new coach Ronald Koeman.
- Season preview: Man United
- Season preview: Liverpool
- Season preview: Hull City
- Season preview: Leicester City
- Season preview: Everton
- Season preview: Crystal Palace
- Season preview: Burnley
- Season preview: Aston Villa
- Season preview: Arsenal
- Best World Cup Posters
- Season preview: Sundowns
- Season preview: Kaizer Chiefs
- Season preview: Free State Stars
- Big trouble in African football
- Can Reds forgive Suarez?
- Black Stars raise the bar
- High expectations on Ghana and Nigeria
- Are Brazil tarnishing the title?
- Who to support at Brazil 2014
- Dikgacoi grooming the coaches of the future
- Exciting times for England
- Masilela: WC through my eyes
- Seven magic World Cup moments
- World Cup preview: Brazil
- World Cup preview: Mexico